IriusRisk is deployed on the AWS Marketplace through the CloudFormation Template. The architecture is based on tiers that include a separate database to persist all the data and a web server instance that runs the logic of the application.
When a new version is released, the IriusRisk team will update the CloudFormation Template and this will perform all the necessary changes automatically. Through this update we will substitute your old web server instance for the new one with the updated version of IriusRisk.
Before any update we highly encourage you to make a previous backup of your database. If you are using the default Amazon RDS PostgreSQL database you can refer to this link to learn more about backing up and restoring your instance.
The process of IriusRisk update is described below:
- Schedule a maintenance window for IriusRisk update. During this window there may be a short period of application downtime.
- Make a backup of your database in RDS console, selecting an IriusRisk database and then taking a snapshot in the Maintenance & Backups tab.
- If you made any manual changes to the IriusRisk-WebServer instance - save them, because this instance will be recreated.
- Run the new application version pointing to the old database.
- A new EC2 instance called IriusRisk-WebServer will be created in your infrastructure. This instance will automatically migrate all your data to the new version.
- Once the new instance is up and running it will register itself to your existing IriusRisk application load balancer. You will maintain your application end point (the same URL).
- When the migration finishes, your old IriusRisk-WebServer instance will be terminated.